The grim statistics behind Middle East grief
Some statistics for you summing matters up in Gaza after six days of bombardment. They come from the Euro-Mid Observer for Human Rights.
They maintain teams of monitors across Gaza who note each incoming blast.
In a statement they say:
“Euro-Mid Observer for Human Rights is calling on the UN Commissioner and EU countries to take a clear stand against the ongoing Israeli breaches of the international law in Gaza, and to take urgent steps to end the continuing bloodbath among civilians.”
So you can make your own judgement as to whether or not the following is reliable but the figures are in line with Hamas government and IDS stats.
Here are their findings:
- There have been an estimated 1,643 Israeli missile strikes in six days: 364 missiles were fired by the Israeli navy, there were 1,114 air strikes and 165 artillery shells.
- One hundred and ten Palestinians have been killed including 25 children, 14 senior citizens and 12 women. Seventy-two per cent were civilians.
- Eight hundred and ninety one Palestinians, including 277 children, 164 women and 62 seniors have been wounded.
- There have been 664 rockets fired from Gaza which have hit southern Israel.
- Three Israeli civilians have been killed and 10 civilians and four soldiers injured.
- Israel has bombarded 822 government and civilian buildings in Gaza, completely destroying 71, and severely damaging 187 and partially damaging 559.
Follow @alextomo on Twitter.